HS Office News
State Volleyball details: Congratulations to the Girls Volleyball team for qualifying for the State Volleyball Tournament to be held at the U.S. Cellular Center in Cedar Rapids next week. Please note the following:
The Activities Department is offering a free pep bus ($10 admission at the door to the US Cellular Center) to the volleyball match on Wednesday. Students must sign-up for the bus by the end of the
day on Tuesday & have a parent give permission to attend (phone call, note, email). The bus will depart at 11am & return to the HS parking lot after the game. We need to have 25 students signed-up to run the pep bus.
MVHS OFFICE DOCUMENTS
ONLINE MOUNT VERNON APPAREL ORDERS
Looking for some MV clothing items?
- Plan for Thursday & Friday if the team wins and continues on: MVHS will run a straight 7's early dismissal schedule (1:05) on Thursday (14th) & Friday (15th). Supervision will be provided for students until 3:15 who do not leave to attend the game at the US Cellular Center.
News from your School Nurse:
Need some new MVHS Basketball apparel? Click here for the online store, which is open now through November 18th.
Click here for the latest newsletter from our K-12 Teacher Leadership Instructional Specialist, Annie Hawker.
Community Action for Youth (CAY) is a committee that plans fun and safe Post Prom activities for our High School students. Each year, the junior class parents organize a fun-filled and substance-free Post Prom event for all Mount Vernon Juniors and Seniors along with their guests. All Mount Vernon junior and senior students are strongly encouraged to attend Post Prom even if they do not attend Prom. All Junior & Senior Parents/Guardians are asked to share in the costs of this event with a suggested donation of $25 per child. Parent donations should be returned by November 15th so that our committee can best plan for the event. Donations may be made using one of the following options:
- Online through InTouch – Log into InTouch, click on your student, then “Items at Student’s School, under categories you will find Post Prom Donations. You can donate there and then print a receipt.
- Send a check – please make checks payable to “Community Action for Youth” and drop it off at the high school office in an envelope marked for Post Prom or mail to: Lori Cranston - 640 13th Ave SW, Mount Vernon.
Explore the MVCSD School Nurse Page for lots of great health information and local resources.
MONTHLY DISTRICT NEWSLETTER - During the school year, from September through May, the Mount Vernon School District newsletter is distributed to Mount Vernon and Martelle residents through The Sun newspaper or The Sunlight flyer one time per month. This newsletter serves as a snapshot of events that have occurred within the district and upcoming events. It is always available online. The November newsletter is included here. Please click HERE for archived newsletters.
Mount Vernon High School is a CLOSED campus, although there are a few situations in which students may leave campus with parent permission. These situations pertain to Juniors and Seniors only. Below are those situations:
- Juniors & Seniors are not required to attend the 8th Block on Wednesday after 1:44pm and therefore, may leave with parent permission (submitted during eRegistration).
- Juniors and seniors may not have a 1st period (or combination of 1st and 2nd period together) and may arrive at the start of 2nd period when their school day starts (immediately prior to their first class period).
- Same with the end of the day - if a junior or senior does not have 7th period (or combination of 6th and 7th), they are free to leave with parent permission (immediately following their last class of the day).
- Students are NOT allowed to leave during lunch.
Again, MVHS is NOT an open campus, so if a student has a 1st period class but does not have a 2nd period class, they are NOT allowed to leave campus during their free period. If you would like to grant your junior or senior permission to leave campus during the above situations ONLY, you MUST complete eRegistration and select "Yes" under the appropriate permission. There is no paper form to complete.
The Mount Vernon School District has partnered with Tanager Place of Cedar Rapids to help support our students. Seeking support can be a challenging process and Mount Vernon School District believes this is a great opportunity for families to utilize within the walls of our schools. Please contact Brett Karkosh, our school counselor or Linda See, our school nurse for more information. If you would prefer, you can also contact Kristin Cannon at email@example.com
Activity Passes were distributed (to those students who purchased them through registration) on Thursday, August 29th. It is a requirement that these Activity Passes be shown for admittance to each home event. Students without activity passes will need to pay to get in to the event. State-sponsored post-season athletic events (i.e. playoff/tournament games) always require payment for admittance for ALL students.
If you are a high school aged student living with another family or person independent of a parent or guardian OR your entire family lives in any of the following situations:
- In a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground,
- On the street,
- In an abandoned building, trailer, or other inadequate accommodations, or
- Doubled up with friends or relatives because you cannot find or afford housing.
The Mount Vernon Community School District will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status (for programs), socioeconomic status (for programs), disability, religion, and creed. Students, parents, employees and others doing business with or performing services with the district who feel that they have experienced discrimination are encouraged to contact: Matt Thede - Equity Coordinator, Mount Vernon Community High School, 731 Palisades Road SW, Mount Vernon, IA 52314, telephone: 319-895-8843, where our district has a grievance procedure for processing complaints of discrimination. Inquiries may also be directed in writing to the Director of Civil Rights – Region VII, US Department of Education,; 310 W. Wisconsin Ave.; Suite 800; Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53203-2292 (phone: 414-291-1111) or to the Iowa Department of Education; Grimes State Office Building; Des Moines, Iowa, 50319-0146 (phone: 515-281-5294).